Re: Celebrity Deathmatch: Padding vs. Staff-Padding

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Celebrity Deathmatch: Padding vs. Staff-Padding
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:04:40 -0400

Hi, Graham:

You're taking about the example in 4.1, right?

5.1, I believe.

... hmm, that example didn't turn out the way I hoped.

In general, it's a fine example. I think the confusion arises by not using the same set of notes when switching between padding and staff- padding: the reader is (or at least I was) not certain exactly what causes the change in markup placement (i.e., the change/movement of anchor note may or may not have contributed). In my expanded example, I tried to use the same pitch set for each system, in order to avoid that extra confusion.

Could you modify that example to demonstrate any extra subtleties of padding/staff-padding?

Absolutely! I can't likely take the time right now -- I've *got* to finish this opera in about a week -- but as soon as I have some breathing room, I'll get on it.

I'd rather that the example was three systems or less, though.

I can easily make the *basic* example three systems or less.

However, I think (i.e., have recently been thinking) that there should be, if possible, examples in (much) more depth -- "articles", really -- and what I've written here was meant to be the start of such an article. I don't know exactly where such a beast would live -- it doesn't really belong in the standard "docs", or the LSR, I think -- but it should be easily accessible. Maybe a Lilypond e-zine (with searchable archive)?

Best wishes,
Kieren.