Re: Why is the text shifted, when using \hspace ?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Why is the text shifted, when using \hspace ?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:06:09 -0600

On 2/12/07, Roland Goretzki <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi list,

(version 2.10.14)

I posted this on Feb, 01, but got no reply, so I ask it again:

Using crescendoText with a dashed line I wanted to put a bit more space
between the text and the dashed line with \hspace #1.

But then I found that the dashed line was shifted to the right as wanted,
but the text from the crescendoText was shifted also, upwards,
ca. .5 staff spaces, and this is, what I don't want.

Is this a bug or a feature, or what else am I perhaps doing wrong?
A very little example file is in the attachment.

Hi Roland,

My understanding of markup isn't terribly good, so I can't give a good
answer to the hspace question.

However, one of the major changes in the 2.11.x dev series covers the
details and control points of text spanners. Almost everything about
spanners is now controllable the nth degree.

8.1.2 "Text and line spanners" gives an excellent overview.

And for the dashed crescendo you're looking for, this might get you started.

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.11.18"

\score {
  \new Staff {
     \once \override TextSpanner #'direction = #down
     \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
\markup { \italic "cre" }
     \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #1.5
     \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left
#'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
     a' \startTextSpan
     a' \stopTextSpan

--