Re: Can Lilypond export separate pdfs?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Can Lilypond export separate pdfs?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:38:46 +0200

Arvid Grøtting wrote:
Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

If you want to make a LaTeX document that contains some scores, I strongly
recommend you to use lilypond-book.

Is lilypond-book actively developed?

I'm especially thinking of stuff like actually using page-based vertical and
horizontal layout with a lilypond-book-included score; last I checked all these
wonderful enhancements were lost within the context of lilypond-book...

You are right that the handling of inter-score line distance, for example, is lost since each score line is generated as a separate EPS/PDF file which is then included into
the LaTeX document using \includegraphics{...}.
However, this is not necessarily a bad choice. The problem is complicated since you have many different situations to handle. If you have a short musical example, then you typically want to include it as a figure somewhere in the document and LilyPond should clearly not do any page breaking or other page layout. Even if you have a long score that fills several pages, you may want to use LaTeX to typeset the titling at the top of the score, so it's not obvious what page height LilyPond should use for the first page, if we added the possibility to include scores page by page instead of
score line by score line in the text document.

I hope you realize that you can play tricks by defining the \betweenLilyPondSystem function in LaTeX if you want to modify the spacing between systems. I also hope you know that you can include the full score in a \book block if you want the full score to be included as a single EPS/PDF into the document, which means that LilyPond does all the layout decisions as usual (which of course is limited to the case where the
score is not longer than a single page).

   /Mats