Re: jazz chords superscript

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: jazz chords superscript
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 10:24:35 +0200

What LilyPond version do you use? Please always try to include a complete
(but short) example of LilyPond code, that can be run directly through LilyPond, which shows what you have tried, when sending a question to the mailing list.

I suspect that the problem is not the \super command, which is a valid
markup command, but hash mark "#" in G#mi, since hash marks are used
to tell LilyPond that "Here comes some embedded code in the Scheme
programming language". Try adding double quotes around the "G#mi"
and see if it works better.

  /Mats

steve berthiaume wrote:
hello,

i'm trying to define a set of custom chords for use in jazz charts, and i would like to be able to have the numbers (7, 9, 11, 13, etc) raised above the chord name. I use Brandt-Roemer standardized chord notation, so my chords look like Cmi7, Cma9, Cdim, Cmi7b5 etc.

I've checked out the regression test, <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/source/input/regression/lily-2253a7494a.ly> and it says to add a superscript, the number has to be preceded by \super. i've tried this in the following example, and i get an 'unknown escaped string "\super"' error:

b4^\markup {G#mi \super "9"}

what am i doing wrong?

thanks,

-steve