Feature request: discretionary lyrics

From: Zoltán Selyem
Subject: Feature request: discretionary lyrics
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:42:16 +0200

Hello all,

Briefly, if you now TeX, I'd like something for Lilypond lyrics which
works like \discretionary{}{}{} in TeX.

Explanation from The TeXbook:
"A discretionary break consists of three sequences of characters
called the pre-break, post-break, and no-break texts. The idea is that
if a line break occurs here, the pre-break text will appear at the end
of the current line and the post-break text will occur at the
beginning of the next line; but if no break occurs, the no-break text
will appear in the current line."

---

Some Hungarian words change their spelling when they are hyphenated.
(I think this happens with other languages too. Maybe with German?)

An example: the word "asszony" (= woman) will be "asz -- szony" when
hyphenated. But if I write "asz -- szony" in the lyrics and the two
syllables are close to each other I get "aszszony", which is wrong.

(In TeX, I could write this:    a\discretionary{sz-}{sz}{ssz}ony  )

It would be nice if I could tell Lilypond to write "asz -- szony" if
there is enough space for the hyphen; and write "asszony" if the
hyphen is removed.

Thank you,

Zoltán