RE: multiple tempi in a single piece

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: multiple tempi in a single piece
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:34:21 +0100

Kieran Coulter wrote on 05 October 2007 03:38

> Thanks for the tip Trevor, I will try it out!
>
> So just to be totally sure,
>
> 1) you add the tempo map, "killing time" with
> s's, as its own voice?

No, although that might work.  I've attached the main file of the example I
posted (Choir&Piano.ly), which contains the structure and is quite well
commented, as this was a learning exercise for me, and all the files which are
included.  As it stands all these need to be placed in a folder called
"includes" if you want to compile it.  (Mats: any hints on improving this are
welcome!) You'll see the Tempi.ly file contains a number of variables like
TempiA below all gathered together in a variable Tempi.  (This is simply for
ease of editing - one tempi variable to a page of the score I was
transcribing.)  Then, as you can see, I simply include \Tempi in the soprano
voice in parallel with the soprano music.

> 2) Do you still need to add the global default
> tempo in the MIDI block if you do this?

Yes, I believe this is still necessary - it was in LP 2.8.

>  tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 72 4)

Or rather simpler:
   \tempo 4=72

> 3) If so, and you also explicitly add a tempo in
> measure 1 of your tempo voice, and they are
> different, does it produce an error or does one
> override the other?

I've not tried making them different, but I would guess the one in the measure
would prevail.

> Thanks again!
>
> Kieran

Trevor