Re: text first draft

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: text first draft
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 01:30:51 -0700

Trevor Daniels wrote:

Graham Percival asked on 03 November 2007 06:57
Text

REWRITE
- overview of text entry: rename?  Also, fill in.
        - or possibly delete it?

A real-life example would be good to encourage the
reader to go further, and convince him the solution
to his particular problem will be found here.
It is a difficult section, and encouragement is
needed.

Well, there will be an inspirational headword eventually in 1.8 Text. As for the Overview specifically, I take it this a vote in favor of keeping it?

   \fatText goes into @commonprop

There should be a distinction between simple
commands like this and the more arcane overrides
which expose scheme and LP internals.  The former
are fine in the main text; the latter should be
in @commonprop.

Actually, \fatText _is_ simply an arcane override -- but one which the developers thought was so common that they included a predefined variable. Look in ly/propert-init.ly :

fatText = { \override TextScript  #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)
            \override TextScript  #'infinite-spacing-height = ##t }

There was a proposal to explain this in every single @commonprop section, but I think it's better to include one GOOD explanation of this kind of thing in the LM.

(let's put this specific question to rest for a few days; I promise we will return to it)

Cheers,
- Graham