Re: hang --"going backwards in time; " "insane spring distance requested

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: hang --"going backwards in time; " "insane spring distance requested"
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:15:53 +0100

On 27 Nov 2007, at 19:15, Damian Legassick wrote:

i can't immediately see how you'd play 3599/11748 but i'd be surprised if the math that got you there was so hard.

The question is where the metric accents are. There are three different possibilities already for 9 = 4+2+3. I think the beaming used on this one used by Bartok might be wrong, if it is the common Romanian meter he implies.

recently i've taken to defining such time signatures by what they're missing. eg 9/8 - 1/20 rather than 43/40. either way is really an aide-memoir and can't be 'read' as such, but in the example i'm thinking of 9/8 -1/20 is less stressful.

The Bulgarian Eleno Mome can be written in say 13 = 4+4+2+3, order to indicate a time bending on the last beat. In reality, though, one may play something like 4+4+2+3.5. I think it is perhaps better to write it in 7 = 2+2+1+2, and indicate the time bending with other means than a complicated time signature. Sometimes it can be difficult to assign a meter notation at all.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_dances
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leventikos

  Hans Aberg