Re: hang --"going backwards in time; " "insane spring distance requested

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: hang --"going backwards in time; " "insane spring distance requested"
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:52:52 +0100

On 27 Nov 2007, at 22:05, Adam James Wilson wrote:

Yes, these time sigtanatures are ridiculous -- but they are needed to
produce the visual I'm after.  I'm notating an electronic part; I have
four performers playing at 4 different tempi, and the electronic part
plays groups of four artiuclations, each quantized to a beat in a
different tempo -- hence the strange timesigs on the staff containing
this part.

But I still don't understand Valentin -- you're telling me you can't
tap out rhythms in 2667/25276 time? :)

The MIDI timing seems to be rather poor, too: according to
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_timecode
it is at best 1/30 second, but could be just 1/24 (as it uses the standard film frame rates). Is this right?

Suppose the tempo 1/4 = 120, so the 1/4 note takes 0.5 seconds; then the 1/2 note takes one second, and the 1/30 second is a 2*30 or about a 64th note. Perhaps this is why MIDI code sounds so bad :-) - there isn't enough time resolution for doing subtle time bendings.

  Hans Åberg