Re: Lilypond for serial music?

From: Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos
Subject: Re: Lilypond for serial music?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:18:12 GMT

> From: Andrea Valle <address@hidden>
>
> I typically use lilypond for algorithmic composition.

> I use Python to =20= script lily.

Sorry to meddle in the thread.
Why Python and not the built-in Scheme interpreter?
Personal preference or something you would advise other people to?

I would be interested to know. I've used Excel outputting to Cakewalk in the
distant past, then LISP with output hand copied to score, more recently
Mathematica with cut-and-paste to lilypond.
Mathematica is great, has lots of combinatorial functions and also does
audio, but I'm finding some problems keeping things working across versions and
it really is not free at all; it's becoming more an environment than a
programming language and it's too expensive to use only as a programming
language.
I'm considering either moving back to Common LISP with Lilypond output
or using the built-in Scheme interpreter; but although I have a 15+ year
programming background, I'm not finding it very easy to use Lilypond Scheme.

Greetings,

Miguel Ramos
Lisboa