Re: partcombine, but including rests in quiet voices?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: partcombine, but including rests in quiet voices?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:03:49 +0100

Am Tuesday, 11. December 2007 schrieb Mats Bengtsson:
> Right! The only real reason to use \partcombine (which is
> well-known to be partly broken and inflexible) is if you want
> to be able to typeset several versions of the same music,
> some with the parts on separate staves and some with the
> parts combined into a single stave.

Yes, I forgot to mention this: As this is part of a huge score (full score is
about 100 pages long!), where I try to prepare professional orchestra
material for a public choir performance (and also for later public
distribution of the scores!), I need the two parts also on separate staves
(and in completely separate scores for the instrument 1 and the instrument
2).

In this case, temporary voices won't work, because then I no longer have both
instruments separately.

The other thing that I have tried is simply putting both instruments on the
same staff as different voices. This, however, has other problems:
1) notes of the same length are not combined into a chord,
2) stem directions have to be fixed with \voiceOne / \voiceTwo,
3) When both instruments have a rest, two rests are printed in strange
locations...

> Also, I hope you know you can get surprisingly far by just
> combining to parallel lines of music in one and the same Voice
> context:

Yes, I'm aware of this, but this does not use proper stem up/down directions,
plus it completely breaks when the two instruments have a slightly different
rhythm, i.e. when instrument 1 has a quarter and instrument 2 has two eights.

So, I'm basically back to my original question: It is possible to force
\partcombine not to discard any explicit rests, that are in parallel to a
note?

Cheers,
Reinhold