different tempos

From: Kostia Rapoport
Subject: different tempos
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:12:40 +0100

hi, my name is kostia, i am a student of composition and this is my first post.
first of all: thank you for lilypond! amazing software and ideology behind it!!

now, i have a question concidering music where each instrument plays its own,
individual tempo that, in addition, may change during the piece. i've tried to
write down a piece with different tempos by using the \compressMusic - command
and making one huge bar for the whole piece with different lengths for each
staff. but this led to extremely uncomfortable time signatures and i couldn't
find out how to make appropriate line breaks: i seem to get one line for the
whole piece, which of course doesn't fit on the paper. did anyone try to solve
similar problems and has some useful suggestions for me? (i'm very new to
lilypond...) or is there even the possibility to somehow set an individual
tempo (in bpm maybe) for each staff and get a notation that would be
proportionally correct, somewhat like space-notation?

i hope, that i express myself clearly. if not, i will try to post an example
(must still find out how to do that on that list? just attaching a pdf to the
email?)

thanks! and my best wishes for the new year!

kostia.
Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage