\column inside a \column and baseline-skip

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: \column inside a \column and baseline-skip
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:56:19 +0200

Dear All,

I've been trying to put columns inside columns and to create nice (or
at least acceptable) spaces between the lines. If the contents is
static and all text is of equal size everything is usually OK but when
there's dynamic content and of different size the layout gets screwed.

Why I'm trying to use dynamic data? Because I'm making a custom header
for a song book and not all songs have all headers.

Is there a successful way to do this just using columns? I've spent
two nights for this already, so I decided to ask you. :-) I also tried
to change the baseline-skip using scheme but although I was able to
make a check if a certain header field is present I was not able to
give it the \override ... as a parameter, it only accepted markup. I
was probably doing something wrong.

So. If you have a look at the code, there are two cases. One with a
two-line title and another with a one-line title. Depending on the
number of titles I've got to change the baseline-skip. Or must I?

-Risto

%%%% Start %%%%
\version "2.11.37"

\markup
{
    \line
    {
        \huge \bigger \bigger \bigger \bigger
        \override #'(baseline-skip . 4.5) % This is different
        \column
        {
            "Title I"
            \override #'(baseline-skip . 3.5)
            \column
            {
                "Title II"
                \small
                \override #'(baseline-skip . 3.0)
                \column
                {
                    "Poet"
                    "Translator"

        \hspace #2

        \huge \bigger \bigger \bigger \bigger
        \override #'(baseline-skip . 3.5) % This is different
        \column
        {
            "Title I"
            \override #'(baseline-skip . 3.5)