Re: change fontsize in stanzas

From: madhg
Subject: Re: change fontsize in stanzas
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:30:04 -0700 (PDT)

Valentin Villenave wrote:

> In other words,
> \markup  { \large toto toto }
>
> only works for the first "toto" whereas
>
> \markup { \large { toto toto } }
>
> works for both.
>
> Can you read 1.8.2.1 carefully and tell me how I could make it more clear
> ?

I had thought that the purpose of the inner brackets was only to make the
\large apply to the whole string of text, not just the first word which
would be the case without those brackets.  That is explained through the
example

b1^\markup { \bold { molto \italic  agitato } }

near the beginning of your section 1.8.2.1.

Suggestion:

later in that section you have examples of vertically stacked text using
\markup{ asdf \line{lkjh}}.  You could at that point say that commands like
\large can be made to apply to nested markups by enclosing them in braces,
and give an example such as (but perhaps simpler than) this

\markup{
    \large {sphinx of black quartz
            \italic { judge
                  \column {
                  \line{my}
                  \line{vow}

(Side-remark:  there would then be quite a lot of information in this
section.  Maybe there could be a heading for "nested markup"; maybe even a
new subsection for that topic.  But I know from nothing about conventions
for writing this documentation)