Questions on beaming and barring

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Questions on beaming and barring
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:25:40 +1000

1. Is it possible to put a slight slope on beams which Lilypond defaults to
engraving as flat? I've found out how to flatten a sloped beam but not the
reverse. Where I've got a whole page of arpeggiated 16th notes, I think it
looks better to have them all slightly sloping than flat.

2. I'm trying to put some guitar barring indications into a piece. I found a
piece on the Mutopia web site with what I wanted (Adelita by Tarrega -
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/make-table.cgi?Composer=TarregaF), but
when I copied the relevant sections into my source, instead of the proper
barring indication I just get a dotted line at the point where the indication
should be. I tested the Mutopia source adelita.ly file with Lilypond 2.11.58 on
my XP machine and got the same problem with the barring being replaced with
dotted lines, so I'm not sure what is causing this. I've attached a couple of
images, one showing the part of the Adelita PDF file that I downloaded from
Mutopia and the other showing the same part of the PDF file generated on my
machine from the Mutopia source file.

Nick