padding tempo indication over multiple whole-bar rests?

From: jo.clarinet
Subject: padding tempo indication over multiple whole-bar rests?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have 'Maestoso' as the tempo indication at the beginning of the part I'm
typesetting at the moment, and it slightly overlaps the treble clef F# in
the key signature, so I need to move it a bit higher up.

I have moved other tempo directions up successfully elsewhere in the piece,
using the padding facility, but those are all linked to a note, whereas this
part begins with a 2-bar rest. I've tried \override Script (etc), \override
Score.MetronomeMark and \override TextScript, but nothing seems to work. Can
anyone help?