The behavior of a \score block

From: Dany
Subject: The behavior of a \score block
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:06:28 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I've read Lilypond's documentation, and something has been bothering me: what is
a \score block? I mean what does it actually do? For instance, what is the
difference between entering a \score block and writing \new Score? I haven't
found anything about it in the documentation except concerning its use within a
markup expression.

Besides, it seems that this \score block is delimited with braces, but when you
want to enter music inside, you have to put a music expression inside the block,
with braces once again. Is this correct?

And one more question: are commands such as \new Staff { c d e f } considered as
single music expressions, just like \relative c' {c d e f}?

Thanks for your help.