Re: The behavior of a \score block

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Re: The behavior of a \score block
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 01:00:04 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden>
To: "Dany" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 8:52 PM

2008/11/4 Dany <address@hidden>:
 ... what is the
difference between entering a \score block and writing \new Score? I haven't
found anything about it in the documentation except concerning its use within a
markup expression.

A \score block is a top-level expression, like \book or \paper.

A \score block may include its own \header or a \layout block, whereas
\new Score won't allow you to do so.

Besides, it seems that this \score block is delimited with braces, but when you
want to enter music inside, you have to put a music expression inside the block,
with braces once again. Is this correct?

\score does not automatically create contexts (whereas \new Score
does) ; therefore you have to create one inside it.

{ c } is equivalent to \new Score {  \new Staff {  \new Voice { c } } }

The learning manual starts with examples like "{ a b c }" that gives you a valid score. There are a lot examples that gives you this easy start with lilypond.

On the other hand this does not discovers, what I am typing with "{ a b c }". I am a programmer and would like to understand why I get the help from the mailing list "write \new score { }" when I read somewhere in the manual "\score { }".

Your comments to this mail gives me a clue, what lilyponds does behind the scene. But I would like more documentation, that helps me to understand the action behind the scene. There is an internals documentaion, but this is a bit deep. I would appreciate if the documentation could include more details as you describe.

Regards,
Helge