Re: musicxml2ly

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:05:46 +0100

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:44:32AM +0100, Hajo Dezelski wrote:

> So the only way I see in the moment is to enhance the midi-export so that we
> have a chance to use the music in another context.

Thats what I call a dead-end solution! The MIDI specification was
defined in the 1980's and was not designed for the creation of printed
music. It is true that the midi2ly utility needs some (or should I say
much? ) improvement. And converting MIDI to printable scores can be
useful sometimes. But it is the limitations of MIDI itself that make
MIDI unsuitable for exchanging music scores between different platforms
and applications.

Sure, MusicXML has it's limitations too, like clearly stated by some
people in this thread. But it is MUCH better than MIDI and definetely
better than nothing. And it has reasonably wide acceptance: Many
companies and applications at least try to support it.

So let's not drop MusicXML support, even we don't like the legal issues
around it.

Comapare it to OGG vs. MP3. From the Open Source point of view it is
recommended not to use MP3 but OGG. But in the real world everyone uses
MP3. Everytime if I have installed a version of the "politically
correct" Fedora, the first thing I do is add some third party
repositories and install support for MP3 and video codecs.

--

Martin Tarenskeen