Re: Vertical spacing between two staves for the whole page

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing between two staves for the whole page
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:47:19 -0800

Hi Maarten,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Maarten Deen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a score with two lyrics lines and three instrument lines,
> where the two lyrics lines are separated by some margin. The idea is that
> the text has to be written here, hence the need for some whitespace.
>
> I tried an example from the manual:
> \overrideProperty #"Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn"
>      #'line-break-system-details #'((Y-offset . 0)
>        (alignment-offsets . (0 -30 -40)))
>
> but that only displayes whitespace for the first line, and none for the
> subsequent lines. See the attached PDF file as an example.
>
> What do I need to do to get the whole page spaced as the first section?

The 'line-break-system-details overrides are per-system settings and
only apply when they are set at line breaks.

If you want the same 'line-break-system-details to apply to the entire
score, it is easiest to put the override in the \layout block:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override NonMusicalPaperColumn
      #'line-break-system-details =
      #'((alignment-offsets . (0 -30 -40)))

Note that I left out the Y-offset property to avoid system
overprinting.  It might be easiest to modify output variables like
top-margin if you want the first system higher up on the page.

Once Chapter 4 of the Notation Reference is rewritten, these things
will be explained in greater detail.

HTH,
Patrick