default midi velocity

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: default midi velocity
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:45:10 -0600

Martin Tarenskeen writes:

> Questions:

> 1. How can I change the default MIDI velocity from 127 to a more modest
> value, without adding dynamic marks in the printable score ?

How about this:

music = \relative c' {
  c' d e f
}

\score {
  \music
  \layout{}
}

\score {
  \new Score {
    s\mf
    \music
  }
  \midi{}
}

> 2. Shouldn't it be a good idea to lower midi-velocity values for
> lilypond's MIDI output by default ? In other words: If no dynamics are
> specified, shouldn't the default be mezzoforte ?

Yes, it's probably a good idea.  In scm/midi.scm, there is the following:

;; 90 == 90/127 == 0.71 is supposed to be the default value
;; urg: we should set this at start of track
(define-public dynamic-default-volume 0.71)

So somebody in the coding recognizes this needs to be fixed.  Unfortunately,
I couldn't see how to do this in a few minutes of searching through the
source.

Anybody willing to take this on as a patch?  It shouldn't be too hard, but I
imagine it'll take some time grepping through the source files.

Carl