Re: Real-world usage of Lilypond

From: Wei-Wei Guo
Subject: Re: Real-world usage of Lilypond
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:38:48 +0800

Tim McNamara 写道:

PS. Why doesn's Lilypond provide a easy-to-use mechanism for inputing music
elements, like E major key signature or quaver. It will make Lilypond not
only a powerful tool for engraving music script, but also a tool for textbook.

Many of these things are very easy to input once you've learned the LilyPond syntax (which looks awfully similar to TeX to my eyes). The learning curve is steep but that means you get up to doing useful things quickly.

For key signatures:

melody = \relative c' {
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
\time 4/4
\clef treble
\key e \major

e4 fis4 gis4 a4 b4 cis4 dis4 e1  }

Setting the key signature could not be much easier, once you know how. As for "quaver," do you mean the British system (quaver, semi-quaver, demisemiquaver, etc. and which Americans call 8th, 16th or 32nd notes) or do you mean a "trill?" In the case of the former, c8 would be a C quaver; a trill on the note C would be denoted in several different ways of your choice. The use of \trill is one such way.

I don't know there are many different systems. I'm working on a songbook
for our family church, but I have little knowledge of music. So I started
learning music script about a month ago. Since it's difficult for me to
remember and understand those music symbols, I want to record those
symbols and make learning notes in my reading notices system. That's why
I keep on asking about methods of inputing music symbols in several
mailing list threads. Sorry for making those noises.

Now I kind of know how to input those symbols with \markup. But I feel it
is somehow inconvenience. I asked whether Lilypond has any application on
music textbook because I want to get some clues to some easier way of
inputing symbols. It's seem not. Then I feel a little pity and asked the
question in previous mail.

Sorry Tim, I don't understand what you said. Could you point me to a link
explaining those systems?

Thanks!

Wei-Wei