Re: music expression explanation

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: music expression explanation
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:41:26 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Friday, April 24, 2009 4:42 PM

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 04:10:37PM +0200, Simon Bailey wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:
If you have an idea for a general clarification that the syntax is
"pitch duration other", then I'm all for it.  If it's a simple
"you need to put the ' before the duration", then I'd probably
reject it as being insufficiently general.

my first idea was something along the lines of your refusal. :) i do have some other ideas about how to explain the syntax, but they depend
on where you want to put it in the docs.
where would you put it in 3.1.?

Hmm.  I was initially thinking of 3.1.2, but that subsection
(actually, the entire section) is really talking about
*macroscopic* style.  I mean, it refers back to the definition of
a (compound) "music expression".

With that in mind, perhaps 2.3.1 is the best place: add 2-3
sentences and an articulation (or dynamic, or something) to the
first paragraph+example.

That said, this is really Trevor's area now.  Let's see what he
says.

Thanks for the prompt!  I think the best place is in
2.1.2 Simple notation, in the Durations (rhythms) section.
This is where the entry of a duration is first mentioned,
and it's immediately after introducing the ' and , marks.
Perhaps immediately after the example there and before
dotted notes are mentioned would be ideal.  I'd be happy to
receive a patch, Simon.

Trevor

ps One of my other hobbies (budgerigar genetics) is
taking time at the moment, hence my back seat presence.