Speed-up compiling

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Speed-up compiling
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:20:58 +0200

Hi all,
I'm "suffering" from enormous compiling durations on large files. With "large" I mean a file with about 250 measures and seven staves per system. The last time I compiled the file completely (without using showLastLength) I did it overnight, since after one and a half hour Lilypond still was "Preformatting graphical elements..." (Don't know what's the correct term in the english version) I know that's my laptop is way too old to do such complex task quickly - (Athlon XP 2600, 256MB Ram, OpenSUSE 11.1) but are there general suggestions which help to speed up the compiling process?

Regards,
Michael