Re: Speed-up compiling

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Speed-up compiling
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:20:03 -0500

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM, Michael Käppler <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Mark,

Maybe try using \pointAndClickOff ? I don't know if point-and-click
slows things down, but it certainly increases filesize.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Point-and-click

I've tested this, rendering only the last 100 measures:
When I ran Lily the first time on that file, it needed 171 s with Point-And-Click turned on. Afterwards I turned Point-And-Click off, where it finished after 88s. After that I did a second run with Point-And-Click turned on - now it finished after just 93s.
I don't think there are significant differences concerning Point-And-Click. But obviously every first run that Lily does on a file, lasts longer.
I don't know what's the reason for it. A further observation I made (which I posted some time ago on -devel) was that when running LilyPond with many files (lilypond foo1.ly foo2.ly foo3.ly foo4.ly) it needs much(!) more time than running it that way: lilypond foo1.ly && lilypond foo2.ly && lilypond foo3.ly && lilypond foo4.ly.

Also, you can temporarily comment out any instances of keep-inside-line since it's a known time-hog.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Avoiding-tweaks-with-slower-processing

I don't use any of this extra-checks in my score.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Given the specs of your machine, I think the compile time is probably about what you can expect for such a large score. I have an orchestral score with 181 bars and 18-20 staves per system, and it compiles in about 7-8 minutes on my laptop (about a year old with 3 GB RAM, dual-core processors, etc) but takes more than an hour on my old eMac (5 years old, 1 GB ram, 1.25Ghz G4 processor). The processing has always been slower on macs, in my observations. Even on my nice Intel iMac at work, which has pretty good specs, it always takes considerably longer than on my Linux laptop.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com