Re: New user question - relative bowing and fingering marks

From: John Ervin
Subject: Re: New user question - relative bowing and fingering marks
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:35:14 -0700

Jan,

Fair enough the scans show your point, though there is other music I know that has the asymmetric glyph for upbow and I do think the glyph I'm proposing better matches the stroking on the downbow.

That matter of taste aside, the problem I'm having - while trying to typeset chamber music for children - is that I would like to write in the cello pieces a sign for when to look for a violin cue. Ideally this would be a circled 'V'. This however, then looks dangerously like the upbow glyph.

Is there a way to substitute an asymmetric glyph for upbow, even if we grant it is not correct?

I have to say that after about 4-5 hours with lillypond I do like it (though I think there are bugs with the cueing which I've reported). Seems very TeX, LaTeX like.

regards,
John

> As an aside the glyph used for upbow doesn't look consistent with the
> rest of the glyph set. Typically the left hand side of the 'V' is
> darker than the right. The glyph in use doesn't seem to match the
> downbow glyph.

I think you are mistaken here.  The upbow glyph (see scans)
that I know invarably is symmetric.