Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times

From: Denis . Roegel
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 02:10:53 +0200

Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 03:59:24PM -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
Something else I just though of, is that there isn't a shortcut for
setting the direction of stems that aren't beamed.  It would be helpful if
there were a shortcut you could put after c4 to set the stem direction.
Maybe like ^| or _|

I think that would be making the syntax too "busy".  We don't want
to end up like perl.

Soomething like ^[ is fine, since we normally use [ and we
normally use ^ _ directions.  But inventing a new meaning for |
would be a mistake.

Another idea would be to have a means to define macros,
say like in TeX. This would answer the shortcut question minor
some extra backslashes. For instance, instead of ^|, one could write
\beamup or something like that.

Such macros (without parameters) would tremendously simplify
lots of pieces of lilypond code, but with parameterized macros
it would even be more striking.

Denis Roegel