Re: vim vagaries

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: vim vagaries
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:07:31 +0800

J. wrote:

I looked at the directions on the lilypond site for
setting it up but, because of my noviciate I got confused
with all the places and symbols.

I found a page here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Vim-mode

It isn't clear which of those things you have to do. As I hadn't done any of this before, I gave it a try. The answer is: both. You need to create this filetype.vim in a suitable place so that vim knows to go looking for .ly files. (And should that be modified for the extension we're supposed to be using for include files?) You also need to tell vim about your Lilypond installation or move some files into a standard vim folder.

i.e. can you add all the lilpond  things into the place
where vim is (/user/bin/share/vim) or have to make a
~/.vim and how does one modify the files when the're
found. [Whew!]

You can add the Lilypond things to your vim folders, but this might confuse you when you move computers or reinstall or something like that. If you add things to ~/.vim you can move that to any new computer you want things to work on.

Note that these instructions are for UNIX but your headers show that you're using Windows. Identifying those folders for a Windows installation of vim (outside of Cygwin) may well confuse you. Inside vim, you can do

:set runtimepath

to find places where vim will look for things.

                    Graham