Re: Weirdness in distribution of systems across pages

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: Re: Weirdness in distribution of systems across pages
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:31:06 +0100

On Saturday 04 December 2010 19:14:46 Keith OHara wrote:

> > [...] It's almost perfect,
> > except for piece 9, which is only three systems big with (relatively)
> > much space in between. So I tried if it could be 4 systems long and it
> > can.
> >
> > However, for some reason, when I do so it messes up piece 2. Although it
> > is two manual \pageBreaks apart, it is influenced by this one
> > system-count
>
> You can ask Lilypond to consider only a portion of the music when breaking
> pages, by making each portion a separate \bookpart.  Each \bookpart starts
> on a new page, so you might put pieces 2-4 in one \bookpart, pieces 4-6 in
> the next \bookpart, etc.
>
> When Lilypond has reached the limits of her ability to suggest page breaks,
> you can take over by putting \pageBreaks where you want them and using
> page-break-permission = #f (see chapter 4 in the reference manual for
> syntax).

But the strange thing is that it already allocated the correct space for parts
2 and 4. I'm surprised that it behaves differently when I change something in
a completely different part of the document.

Onc I encased pieces two and four by one bookbart, they fit into two pages
together. Now, piece 10 stretched out to two pages (3 systems on the first,
one on the second page, which was the last one of the document).
Then I added a bookpart around piece 10, which made it fit onto a single page
again. Guess what -- this time it was piece 9 that stretches across two pages.

It’s as if lilypond is trying to keep an even number of pages.

You saw the file, there is no global page-count defined. I’m stumped.:-|
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
If you have a problem, call your system-administrator.