Re: Completely separating notation from output logic

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Completely separating notation from output logic
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:04:20 -0700

On 1/3/11 1:01 PM, "Michael Ellis" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to develop an include file with Scheme functions that will
> allow notation files to contain nothing more than a header block and
> music for one or more voices.

Personally, I think you're going about this exactly backwards.  Rather than
including the score in a notation file, I think you should include the
notation in a score file.  That way, you can easily reuse the notation in
multiple places.

> Below is what I've got so far.  What
> I'm finding is that I can easily define a music function that appends
> voices to a list and a corresponding function that retrieves them in
> order within the context of  a \score block.   What doesn't work so
> far  is trying to generate the score block itself.  I get an error
> complaining about "Unexpected \score".  I'm assuming that's because a
> \score isn't a music type.  Is that right?

I think that's right.  The Score (capital S) context is created
automatically by LilyPond.  We used to use \new Score, but we have
eliminated that.

I think that the cleanest way to do this is to have a notation file for each
of the pieces of notation, and then have a score file that includes all of
the notation files.

HTH,

Carl