Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 18:21:50 +0100

Am 21.01.2011 08:46, schrieb Basso Ridiculoso:
Hello Marc,

Danke für deine antwort zu meine frage! :)

Its funny you point out those functins, because I have been looking at that...but I have not been able to make it work. I hope you don't mind a direct reply to your email.
No problem, but since others may encounter the same problem, it is better to discuss it on the
list, so I redirect the reply to -user.

I don't believe I can define only a 5 note scale with his function, it will only do 7 notes?
Sorry, I overlooked the term "pentatonic" in your first mail.
I think that heptatonic scales are somewhat "hardcoded" in lilypond, but I am not sure about this.

And the only syntax example I have seen on using that is about 2 years old and it isn't obvious what I would transpose.

I have been working from this one..but no dice so far.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/43719/match=john+mandereau+transpose

And here is where get lost

% mix between lydian and mixolydian
milydian = #`(
   (0 . 0)
   (1 . 0)
   (2 . 0)
   (3 . ,SHARP)
   (4 . 0)
   (5 . 0)
   (6 . ,FLAT))

melodie = \relative c' { \times 2/3 { cis8 d e } f2 }

\new Staff {
   \time 3/4
   \melodie
   \mode*Transpose*  g \milydian #-3 d' \lydian \melodie % IV ->  I
   \mode*Transpose*  g \milydian #3 e' \lydian \melodie % IV ->  VII

}

So I guess I would define
MyPentatonc = #`(
   (0 . 0)      % the root a
   (1 . ,SHARP) %to get c?
   (2 . 0)      %the note d
   (3 . 0)     %the note e
   (5 . ,SHARP)) %the note g?

This is assuming that the (1.0) distance is a whole step?
No. IMHO the first number is the number of the note within the scale,
whereas the second number is 0 when the note is not altered, otherwise
you have to wite ,FLAT or ,SHARP, respectively.

I don't think that pentatonic scales are supported as-is, but I could be wrong.
Perhaps anyone more familiar with the internals can chime in?

So then, how do I say "diatonically transpose to 'mode' of g' within that scale? I dont get what he is doing with the \modetranspose and the \lydian etc. Do I have to define each mode of the pentatonic somewhere as well?

Thanks for answering so quick! Any help would be appreciate

Sorry for not being able to be more helpful...

Regards,
Marc