Re: Slurs are better than ties at automatically avoiding collisions

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Slurs are better than ties at automatically avoiding collisions
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:53:12 +1000

On 10/04/11 23:33, Phil Holmes wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:23 PM

On 10/04/11 22:09, Phil Holmes wrote:

Have you tested whether it actually avoids the beam better, or if it's
not just simply placed differently anyway?

Yes, the slur really does avoid collisions much better. Here's png
output from the actual score where I encountered the problem - all
elements are being placed automatically with no overrides. When using a
tie, it collides with the beam and the fingering. Replace the ties with
slurs, and the slur is automatically displaced upwards from its normal
location to avoid both the beam and fingering.

Nick

OK.  Added as http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1606

Actually, with a bit more poking around I've found that I did actually have

\override Fingering #'avoid-slur = #'inside

set in an include file in the score. If I comment that out, then the slur collides in the same way as the tie, though slightly higher. However, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent override available for Ties to avoid collisions.

znivk