RE: transpose

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: transpose
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 15:20:38 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Peter O'Doherty
)Sent: 02 June 2011 16:00
)To: lilypond-user
)Subject: transpose
)
)Hi,
)Can someone please help me adjust this example so it's transposed
)correctly for Bb clarinet? Where should I put the
)  \transpose c' d' \clarinet ?
)Thanks,
)Peter
)
)\version "2.12.3"
)\include "english.ly"
)
)\paper {
)   #(set-paper-size "a4" 'landscape)
)}
)
)clarinet =  {
)
)   c'4 d' e' f' |
)
)}
)
)\score {
)   \new Staff \with {
)     midiInstrument = "clarinet"
)   }
)   \clarinet
)   \layout {
)     \context {
)       \Score
)        \override TupletBracket #'bracket-visibility = ##t
)        \override TupletNumber #'text = #tuplet-number::calc-fraction-text
)        \override Stem #'stemlet-length = #0.7
)        \override DynamicText #'font-size = #-2
)
)     }
)   }
)}
)

[James' reply:]

There are a few ways to do this, the way that I do it is this.

MyMusic = relative c' { a b c d }

\score {
\transpose bes c { \MyMusic }
}

This transposes all my music into b-flat (assuming it is written in concert
pitch) so for transposing alto sax to trumpet it would be

\score {
\transpose bes ees { \MyMusic }
}

The reason I do it like this is that I am usually copying some music in another
key (often clarinets in a or trumpets in c) and while I am copying out the
score I use

\score {
\transpose c c { \MyMusic }
}

This looks silly I know, but it means I only have to change 1 character to get
the whole piece transposed and I don't have to 'think' about it while I am
setting the music. It also means I don't have to worry about the relative
either but you can use

\score {
\transpose bes' c { \MyMusic }
}