Re: Position of slur between two notes in different chords

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Position of slur between two notes in different chords
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:16:09 +0200

2011/6/21 Markus Pfaff <address@hidden>:
> A slur from one chord to another is positioned relative to the complete chord.
>
> In my opinion this reduces readability of the score.
> Shouldn't the slur go from the note inside of the chord
> wich it actually starts on to the note which it actually ends on
> (from a to bes in attached example for flamenco guitar)?

I agree that it should do so in some cases, but i don't think it
should do so in all cases.
Generally when two chords are slurred, only one slur is used. The
problem arises when a mix of slurs and ties appear. In your case it
would be best to have the slur attached to the notes that change, but
consider this example:

\version "2.14.1"
\relative c' { \key f \major
  <c e g c f> ( <d f bes d f> )
  <c e g c f> ( ~ <d f bes d f> )
}

Here only one note is tied and 4 notes are slurred. I'd say that there
should be only one slur for the whole chord in this case.

I think the optimal solution here would be to extend slur syntax so
that slurs could be defined inside chords (like ties):

cheers,
Janek