Re: Problem with \set currentBarNumber

From: Nick Baskin
Subject: Re: Problem with \set currentBarNumber
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:09:18 +0000

Neil,

When I try to move the Timing_translator by both adding it to the Staff context and removing it from the Score context, the file starts to compile, but then stops without doing anything after printing the following message:
ERROR: In procedure number->string:
ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1: ()

There is no line number associated with the error, and LilyPondTool in JEdit isn't highlighting anything in red. When I don't remove the Timing_translator from the Score context, but only add it to the Staff context, I get scads of bar check failure warnings, and the resulting PDF has irregular and infrequent bar lines that do not line up with the meter until the first \bar "||", at which point each note is printed in a separate measure surrounded by a double bar.

Am I missing something else? I tried moving the Default_bar_line_engraver, too, based on looking at the example in the Polymetric Notation section of the Notation Manual, but that did not solve the problem.

TIA,
Nick

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
On 24 June 2011 21:19, Nick Baskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is this a bug, or is there something else I need to add to the Staff context to
> get the desired output?

It's not a bug.  currentBarNumber is maintained by the
Timing_translator, which lives in the Score context unless you move
it.  If you don't move it, your Staff.currentBarNumber setting shadows
the score-level setting, hence why the Bar_number_engraver in the
Staff context sees the same bar number.

Cheers,
Neil

--
And she forgot the stars, the moon, and sun,
And she forgot the blue above the trees,

www.hastyorisons.blogspot.com