Re: GOP2-2b - Stable 2.16.x releases (dictator) (probable decision)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GOP2-2b - Stable 2.16.x releases (dictator) (probable decision)
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 19:42:34 +0200

Il giorno mer, 01/08/2012 alle 20.51 +0100, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> I was particularly thinking of the download links and links to
> docs (on both the Downloads page and the Development page).  That
> needs to do build number -> python -> texinfo macros -> html.  But
> at least it's fully debuggable just with "make website", without
> bringing in the hour of a normal "make doc".

Oh, I see.  I thought the scripts building this (e.g.
scripts/build/create-weblinks-itexi.py) were already looking for actual
release numbers instead of assuming "1".

> I'm not sure offhand how to get the build number, since we don't
> put it into VERSION.  Maybe check the http directory and grab the
> filename if there's an internet connection, or else not default to
> -1 ?

As for "make doc", could GUB set up an environment variable?  As for
"make website", we could use something similar to what was used for the
old website on a separate Git branch.

> > IMHO patch level numbers are cheap, as it doesn't often happen to
> > release twice within two or three days.
>
> ok, I suppose we could just not bother with this, then.

It appears from this discussion that this issue is not so urgent, so
I've added a comment to

Please correct me if my comment there is wrong.

Best,
John