Re: Paralellizing Lilypond [was: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shutsdo

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Paralellizing Lilypond [was: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shutsdown]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:40:04 +0200

Lucas Gonze <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I made the same switch and am happy about it. I'm not as fast with
>>> Lilypond yet, but am getting there.
>>>
>>> I especially like that that my scores won't become uneditable whenever
>>> I stop buying upgrades from Sibelius.
>

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> How would that happen?  I would imagine that if you keep your scores and
>> software version unchanged, they should remain working on a given
>> system.  ...  And of
>> course, there is no need to _buy_ upgrades.

The last sentence was in reference to using LilyPond.

> You'd think so, but the underlying OS changes and Sibelius doesn't rev
> old versions to keep up. The last version of Sibelius that I paid for
> now crashes on boot.

Oh wow.  Considering how long binaries tend to work on GNU/Linux (where
there actually is much less proprietary/binary software for which this
is ultimately important), with several versions of dynamic libraries
being installable at the same time, this is somewhat off-putting.

> As a result I can't launch Sibelius for tweaks like key changes. The
> only solution is to re-enter a score in Lilypond.

It is not really new, but I keep being surprised at the things
proprietary/commercial software vendors are getting away with doing to
their paying customers.

There are occasions where users hit the mailing lists here getting off
on the wrong foot, voicing unrealistic expectations and demands.  One
tends to have the reaction "you can put forward that sort of expectation
when you are actually paying for software", but the reality seems to be
that as a paying customer you are treated worse.

--
David Kastrup