Re: page layout

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: page layout
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 00:37:28 +1000

On 5 September 2012 19:18,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m quite new to lilypond and currently workng on some madrigals ( choir
> with 6 voices ) from the 16th century. The barlines are set between staves
> only.
>
> The output of lilypond is really beautiful. But the page layout could have
> some more tweaking.
>
> There are 6 staves per system and 2 systems per page
>
> The first page is really perfect. Title and subtitle and the 2 systems are
> using the available space of the page properly.
>
> On the other pages the systems are positioned a little bit too high, so
> there is too much space at the bottom of the page.
>
> I didn’t find anything straight forward in the docs .
>
> I’m using a paper variable system-system-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 0.1)
> (padding . 10))
>
> And that’s it.
>
> May I have some consultancy from the experts on that? ;-)
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Michael

Here are the settings I used for a six-part piece. In the end this is
what came out to my liking. Like Marek I would also suggest experiment
with setting & unsetting ragged-bottom and ragged-last-bottom:

#(set-global-staff-size 16)

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a4")
  top-margin = 20\mm
  bottom-margin = 20\mm
  left-margin = 19\mm
  right-margin = 19\mm
  system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #16
  system-system-spacing #'stretchability = #5
}

% Vaughan