Re: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:06:14 +0200

Am 26.09.2012 14:03, schrieb David Kastrup:
Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Mats Bengtsson
<address@hidden> wrote:
On 09/26/2012 12:48 PM, address@hidden wrote:
What about editors like Frescobaldi having the ability to convert
"regular lilypond" to "horizontal scroll" and back?  E.g. the code
above would be displayed as (view using monospace font):

<<
    { a4 b  c  d  e  f  g  a  e    a   g  f  }

    { e4 a  g  f  c2    e     d8 c f4  d2    }
I may be stupid, but it's not obvious to me how this small example would
extend to a longer piece that doesn't fit on a single line in the editor.
Disabling automatic line wrapping and using horizontal scrolling is the key :)
Of course, it wouldn't probably make sense to *store* music in this format.
If you don't want to store it in this format, there is no point in
choosing a display form that locally resembles valid input.

To me it sounds more like what you'd want here is several windows into
the same file with synchronized cursor motion for things happening at
the same musical time.

Oh yeah, that's something I'd second.
In an ideal world these windows wouldn't only go into the same file but into the same piece of music. I often would love it to have several tabs open with the different parts of a piece, so I can for example quickly switch from one instrument to the other at the same moment of time.

But I think this would be quite complex, because the editor would have to know the musical moment we are at. Which seems complicated from the beginning, but if we start to (re-)use variables ...