Re: how to call these notes?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: how to call these notes?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:25:40 +0200

Article "appoggiatura" says: "The 19th century brought still further changes in
the treatment of the appoggiatura. The long appoggiatura became absorbed in the
ordinary notation, and the short appoggiatura was invariably indicated by a
small note with a single stroke across its stem, called a grace note or
(erroneously) an acciaccatura."

So it suggests that the stroked grace notes became the normal way of notate in
the 19th century. But you need to check what is notated in the original
manuscript, because engravers may at will translate into modern notation.