Re: Dealing with almost-repetitive stuff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Dealing with almost-repetitive stuff
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 10:05:51 +0100

Evan Driscoll <address@hidden> writes:

> However, I just thought of a possible solution, which is to use another
> voice with spacer rests:
>
>     motif = \relative c {
>         \times 2/3 { g8 g g } g4 g g8 g g4 |
>     }
>
>     \relative c {
>          \time 5/4 \clef bass
>          << \motif s4\pp^"col legno" >> |
>          \motif |
>          \motif |
>          \motif |
>          << { \motif \motif } { s4\< s1 | s4\> s2. s4\! } >>
>     }

This is _not_ another voice.  It is simultaneous music in the _same_
voice.  Where is the difference?  Things not just end up in the same
column, but actually share the same stems, are _composed_ rather than
just aggregated (both in Midi as well as visually).

> In some sense this just lets me to continue to use the \motif command
> so i don't have to keep doing "\times 2/3 blah blah blah" and just put
> the interesting things on the right *beat*. Is there any reason that
> this would be bad? (e.g. does the \pp still apply to the \motif voice
> when doing MIDI output?)

\motif is not a voice, it is a music variable.  As long as you are
staying in the same voice, things will come together just fine.

Note that

is parallel music while

is a shorthand equivalent to

<< \context Voice = "1" \with { \voiceOne } \x
   \context Voice = "2" \with { \voiceTwo } \y

which indeed has separate voices.  Both are quite different but
frequently confused.

--
David Kastrup