Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:24:39 +0100

Hi everyone,

I haven't read all posts on this subject, so sorry should I write
something that's already been written.
Why not keep the \relative <pitch> { <music> } syntax as one supported
way and simply change the \relative { <music> } syntax to what David
proposed? I myself have always only used the first version (I didn't
even know the other existed, to be honest), andI liked the idea of
having a lever outside the music that shifted the music ocave-wise.

Or, as an alternative, the \relative { <music> } syntax could rely on
music that was written *before* the relative block. That way, one would
avoid the awkwardness of explaining that the first note in the \relative
block is actually absolute. It just says that everything in the relative
block is, well, relative to what was before (if anything) or a default
(like c') otherwise. That also makes sense semantically.

Thus, the proposed syntax of

\relative { r4 a'' a f c }

where a'' is absolute would become

r4 a'' \relative{ a f c }