Re: \relative is not the best way of entering complicated music

From: David G
Subject: Re: \relative is not the best way of entering complicated music
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:22:48 +0000

In relative, a note with no ' or , indicates the closest octave, e.g. for adjacent notes

a b means the B one note above whatever A it was,

d c means the C one note below whatever D it was,

Effectively this means that using no ' or , will always produce a note within a fourth of the previous one (accidentals don't affect this). The biggest jump you can notate with no ' or , are then like this:

e a means the A a fourth above whatever E it was (because the A below is further away)

g d means the D a fourth below whatever G it was (because the D above is further away)

As you know, the ' and , move up and down by an octave respectively.

if you want an E and then the A a fifth below, type e a,

if you want a G and then the D a fifth above, type g d'

And then you can keep adding ''' etc. or ,,, etc. to jump several octaves.

Having typed this, I'm not sure that it actually makes things any clearer - if not please ignore it and I'm sure someone else can make more sense!