Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 00:14:09 +0100

On 02/04/2013 23:37, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 04/02/2013 11:57 PM, Anthonys Lists wrote:
On 02/04/2013 22:47, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
Indeed, and a consequence of distributing a "covered work" under
GPL-incompatible terms is that you lose the permissions granted under that
license.
EXCEPT EXCEPT EXCEPT THE LAW SAYS YOU *DON'T* *NEED* ANY PERMISSION !!!
What, I don't need permission to use a computer program written by someone else
that is still in copyright?

If your work does not include any of their work, then you don't need any permission to not copy their work! :-)

I get to use the GNU Scientific Library _only_ because its authors have granted
me permission to do so.  That permission is conditional on my adhering to a
number of conditions.  One of those conditions is that if I distribute what the
GPL refers to as a "covered work" -- in this case, a work based on the GNU
Scientific Library, such as my little program -- I must do so under a
GPL-compatible license.

And if you read the GPL, version 2 (I presume 3 has similar wording) says "the use of this work is outside the scope of this licence". The GPL explicitly rejects anything to do with the USE of the work.

It was YOU that said your source code did not include any part of the GSL. Therefore when you distribute your source code you do not need any permission to distribute the GSL, because you are not distributing the GSL. Therefore, because you are not distributing the GSL, you do not need the GPL's permission to not distribute!

If I break that condition, I lose the permission granted to use the GNU
Scientific Library.  That doesn't mean its authors can sue me for distributing
my little piece of code under a proprietary license.  It means they can sue me
if I continue to use the GNU Scientific Library.

And what law will they use to use you? Oh - that's right, they'll use copyright law!

At which point, they will have to show, to the Judge, that your work is LEGALLY a derivative of theirs.

Except you said it didn't contain any GSL code! Which means that, AS FAR AS THE LAW IS CONCERNED, it is NOT a derivative. Which means there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING the GSL guys can do to stop you using their code. If the law says a licence is not necessary, then it doesn't matter what licence they used on their code, YOU DON'T NEED IT!

Sorry for shouting, but just go ask a lawyer. ANY lawyer with a half-way decent
grasp of copyright.
I suggest it's not me who doesn't understand copyright, but you who doesn't
understand the niceties of the GPL.  I'll happily accept proof that I'm wrong,
but shouting at me (or making general assertions about the relative priority of
the GPL versus the law) doesn't count as proof :-)

What I do know is that the GPL grants permissions that - absent the licence - you wouldn't have.

And if the law says you don't need those permissions, then you don't need that licence!

Let's say I write a licence that Joseph Wakeling owes me £500 per month for not using my code. I give you a copy. I now claim you owe me £500 for the month of April. How am I going to enforce it?

I'm going to enforce it exactly the same way the GSL library people are going to enforce their licence for you not using their code - in other words, if either of us is stupid enough to try it, the Judge is going to laugh us out of court.

Actually, that seems to me to give you pretty much the question you want to ask SFLC or FSF or whoever it was.

"If I write a program - all my own work - which uses the public API to call a GPL library but does not include any code from that library, do I have to distribute the *source* code of my program under the GPL."

I can guarantee that the answer that comes back will be "you can use whatever licence you like because it's not a derivative work."

(Oh, by the way, my understanding of the GPL has changed a fair bit over the years. Mostly as a result of discussing the niceties on Groklaw, so I think most of my misunderstandings have been pretty much clue-by-four'd by now :-) But this isn't a case of understanding the GPL, it's a matter of understanding the law. The law says "you don't need a licence" so that's the end of it!)

Cheers,
Wol