Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 01:22:41 +0200

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> My right to use the GNU Scientific Library is conditional on following
> certain obligations -- if I breach those obligations, I lose the right
> to use the GNU Scientific Library.  One such obligation relates to the
> licensing that must be applied if I distribute any work that matches
> the GPL definition of a "covered work".
>
> It's no different in principle from what happens if I breach the terms
> of use of a proprietary program.

Yes, it is.  The terms of use of a proprietary program generally presume
a binding contract _restricting_ the scope of rights normally granted
with the legitimate purchase of media.

The difference is that the proprietary vendor needs to establish that
such a contract has been entered, and he has the burden of proof that
his contract conditions have been violated.

With a license (such asthe GPL), the burden of proof that he had license
to do as he did lies with the user of software.

That's quite a different playing ground.

--
David Kastrup