Re: Newbie problems

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Newbie problems
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:26:04 +0200

On 15 Apr 2013, at 08:09 , Thomas Scharkowski wrote:

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Thomas Scharkowski <t.scharkowski <at> t-online.de> writes:

">>" (without quotes) is missing at the end of your code.

It's more likely that your mail reader interpreted ">>" as a quoted
line and didn't show it to you. The final ">>" came through just fine
for me.

Hi James,
you are right, I looked at the source of the mail - Thunderbird converts the >>.
Silly!

No, that is Internet-history, starting around 1980/1981 with Eric Allman (UCB) boosting email with the first sendmail implementation in the same time-frame as TCP was starting to be used (that is just after lifting the restriction of max. 256 computers in a network if I remember correctly!). Not only Thunderbird "does" this, but as soon as in the whole email-chain there is one component based on SMTP text- files and the good old sendmail, this phenomenom will appear. Email- programs and mailers using text-files have to get rid of this to protect themselves from silly easy hacks with overwritting files using ">>" and some other problems.

It is annoying, but part of our digital life. I don't think we will ever get rid of this, get used to it.

Regards,
Wim.

Thomas