Re: Newbie problems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Newbie problems
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:12:57 +0200

David Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> When using Emacs, C-h i is just two keystrokes away.  No need to
>> reserve additional space for the info manual.
>
> You're right - I didn't think of that, because I didn't have Emacs
> when I started using Lilypond. I still haven't made the switch, though
> I would prefer to.

Its LilyPond mode is not really on par with AUCTeX's LaTeX support but
works reasonably well.  For LilyPond file handling alone, Frescobaldi
might be a more impressive choice.  However, Emacs' info reader is by
far the fastest and most convenient browser of LilyPond's documentation
(be sure to have the version with graphics installed) and is also
helpful for reading the Guile documentation.  Scheme, Texinfo and LaTeX
modes (with AUCTeX) are also helpful, and its integration with git is
quite handy for doing development work (or just maintaining personal
repositories).

It's also reasonably convenient as a mail/news reader which is helpful
when cutting&pasting material to LilyPond's mailing lists.

Basically, Emacs is ok as a LilyPond editing environment.  Its offerings
become more compelling once your LilyPond-related work environment grows
beyond just LilyPond itself.  It would likely be worth it to have an
Emacs window open just for reading the documentation...

--
David Kastrup