Re: how offsets and alignment works: an explanation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: how offsets and alignment works: an explanation
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:49:55 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/4/16 Richard Shann <address@hidden>:
>> On Tue, 2013-04-16 at 19:22 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
>>> Does placing it in a separate \layout block help?
>>>
>> \layout {
>>     \override Slur #'stencil = #(display-control-points #t)
>>   }
>> does work - I feel stupid now, but I didn't try that because it seemed
>> to me that this case was a different type of syntax so I immediately
>> started trying to guess what the parallel syntax might be...
>
> :)
> This syntax was made possible by David Kastrup sometime during 2.15.

It actually iterates through all context definitions and places the
override in every context definition without \defaultchild.

Richard is right that "this case is a different type of syntax"
inherently, and in his defense, this "naive way" of writing things, due
to being supported only from 2.15.something onward, is not featuring
prominently in our documentation.

Which is probably somewhat unfair to those of our users who first read
documentation before poking LilyPond with a stick.

--
David Kastrup