Re: modular "markup" and arguments

From: Bric
Subject: Re: modular "markup" and arguments
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 05:19:25 -0500

On 11/07/2013 12:31 AM, Paul Morris wrote:
Bric wrote
So, can one throw in conditionals?

(1) Can one, for instance, check/manifest the pitch and duration of
'#the-music'  ?  And based on those values are, write something or not?

(2) And how DOES one write something extra?  For example, add a note, or
add a \markup (again, conditionally, perhaps).  I tried adding variants
of the following...
Check out these snippets:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=82
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=83

They show examples of how to add things to the music (on the input side)
using scheme.  Doing it conditionally would then be the next step.

(3) Is "#the-music" an object, with properties and stuff, and how does
one access/modify those properties?
This should help with this:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/extending/displaying-music-expressions

OK. I've read through the above.

I haven't done much with adding things to the music on the input side like
you are wanting.  I have mostly customized what's output by conditionally
modifying grob properties.  These are two different sides or angles...

For example, NoteHead.color is a grob property and you could conditionally
change it based on a note's pitch using scheme, for example:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=572

I have SOME understanding of the advanced snippet code

The other two you referred to seem to be vital to my quest -

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=82
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=83

Development is moving insanely fast here. I just compiled 2.17.29, and there's already 2.17.95

I guess I need to build the latest frescobaldi, locally(?), so it's in step with the latest lilypond?

Some feedback on the snippet database: It has a "sort by date" option, but the dates are not showing. I think it would be of some benefit to manifest the dates. Also, to juxtapose the code and its rendered result, on the same page, would also be good (save a lot of time, in the long run)

So, obviously, just to add a "^markup" to the music function is not trivial. I'm gathering that (text) markup belongs to an "event function", rather than a "music function", and the two can't be integrated ... although, that doesn't sound likely, off the top of my head, given the power and flexibility of this environment.

I have lots of other reflections but will post this for now.

thanks!