Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:38:52 +0100

Hi,

recently I wrote that LilyPond input files - being plain text - are a quite natural choice for single-source or cross-media publishing.
However, I'm not so sure anymore that this is really true (yet).

When finishing a LilyPond score to publication quality there is quite a lot of tweaking involved - as you can see from Janek's recent posts on lilypondblog.org. And this tweaking makes the engraving very specific, actually it's only valid for a specific page layout and even a specific LilyPond version. Using the same score in a different context will now involve quite some hassles: clever versioning strategies, complicated tagging or plain rewriting. Each of these solutions is more or less impractical, and I think they are far away from real cross-media publishing.

If I want a score to be working in a printed book and in a beamer presentation, if I want to reformat the score on a display on the music stand depending on user's choice of cue notes or let it reflow depending on screen resolution etc. I think we'd need really automatic engraving, as LilyPond actually advertises already. At least to an extent where there are no tweaks necessary for the quality demands at hand.

Do you have any opinion or experience on this matter?

Urs